Milton Keynes Council are responsible for:
Rubbish Collection (recycling), Planning, Parking, Street Lights, Roads, Pavements, Traffic, Parks, Play Equipment, Housing, Grass Cutting
Link to Milton Keynes Council website
Link to Milton Keynes Council "Report It"
Link to Milton Keynes Council "Planning Applications"
What don’t we do?
People are sometimes confused about our responsibilities especially the following:Rubbish Collection
- Milton Keynes Council is directly responsible for emptying litter bins, domestic bin collections, street cleansing and waste recycling, fly-tipping on public land and environmental health.
WGTC provides over 60 dog bins which we empty at least weekly, we provide some extra litter bins and our caretakers work with others to undertake extra waste removal when possible. We have no powers to issue penalty notices for littering or dog fouling.Planning
- Milton Keynes Council is the planning authority and decides whether or not to grant planning permission. WGTC expresses its opinion on individual planning applications. Our job is to represent the whole community in making these observations which must relate to material planning matters. The Town Council is also a consultee on planning policy. MK Council determines licensing applications but again WGTC may comment on behalf of the community. WGTC also gets involved in the spending of financial contributions made by developers under S106 of the Town and Country Planning Act (as amended).Parking
- Thames Valley Police and Milton Keynes Council both have powers to enforce parking restrictions and the police can issue penalties to motorists causing obstructions or committing other driving/parking offences. We report problems and liaise with both organisations about parking problems but we can’t take enforcement action or impose restrictions.Streetlights, Roads Pavements and Traffic
– Milton Keynes Council is directly responsible for street lighting, footway and carriageway repairs, traffic calming and all issues relating to local roads which are not the responsibility of the national Highways Authority. (We report problems and work with MK Council and others on road safety issues; we regularly deploy our own Speed Indication Devices around the area which flash to remind speeding motorists to slow down.)Parks and Play Equipment
– Milton Keynes Council is responsible for the grounds and play equipment at Victoria Park, Western Road Recreation Ground and Greenleys MUGA (except for the floodlights at this MUGA).