The Agora

In 1978 The Milton Keynes Development Corporation built the Agora Centre to replace the market hall in Creed Street. Designed by Wayland Tunley to be the meeting place and market of the town the Agora sadly cut the town in two and failed to thrive. Pevsner’s Guide to Buckinghamshire considered the building to “have a toughness considered appropriate to the grittiness of a railway town”. There are plans to redevelop the Agora, if you would like to know more, please click here.

Image of the Agora

The Old Bath House

The Old Bath House was built in 1890 between the Finishing Shop and the Horse Box Repair Shop on Stratford Road. It was built by the London and North Western Railway Company as a public bath house for residents and railway workers in Wolverton.

In 1992 Tesco obtained planning permission to build a new superstore on neighbouring land, on the condition that they financed a brand new community centre, and refurbished the Old Bath House. The new centre became home to Living Archive, who stayed at the Old Bath House collecting and preserving Milton Keynes’ history until they moved to Milton Keynes Museum in 2013. The Old Bath House is now a community centre, you can visit its website here.

An old photo of the Old Bath House

Milton Keynes Museum

The history of Milton Keynes didn't start in the 1960s! Find out all about the history of our extraordinary city at the Milton Keynes Museum, a converted Victorian farm house dating from 1847. The Museum hosts local artefacts relating to the heritage of Milton Keynes. This is a great place to visit with all the family to learn about the rich history of our railway towns, farming and printing industry and much more. For more information visit their website here.


The Water Tower

Along Green Lane sits the Victorian water tower. Originally one of two, this was built on the highest land in the town. It used to hold clean water and was the main supply for the town.

Wolverton water tower

St George's Church

St George the Martyr is the world's first railway church, built in 1845 by the railway company. Please see their website here.

Image of St George's Church

Stratford Road

Along the wall at the corner of Stratford Road and Radcliffe Street are ‘sniper holes’, holes in the brick wall that guns could be fired through in order to protect the works from an enemy. The works wall runs opposite what was the town's main shopping streets and sold everything from boots to bicycles to bread and beer. The works Bath House and Fire Station can be seen across the road.

Old brick wall with holes in