Which Council Does What?

What does Wolverton and Greenleys Town Council actually do? 

Wolverton and Greenleys Town Council is part of the first tier of local government, the community councils closest to the voters.

Our councillors make policy and strategy decisions about what we will do and our staff team work with them to implement these on a day to day basis.

The council is independent of MK Council. All our activities are governed by UK and EU laws and codes of practice.

Wolverton and Greenleys Town Council aims to foster the well-being of this neighbourhood. Our work falls into three main categories:

  1. Representing the local community
  2. Delivering services to meet local needs
  3. Striving to improve the quality of life in Wolverton and Greenleys

Often we work with partners including statutory authorities, community groups and individuals.

We co-operate with MK Council to try to ensure effective delivery of their services in our area. We review all planning applications for Wolverton and Greenleys and we are consulted by MK Council on planning policy. We are the sponsoring body for the recently adopted Wolverton Neighbourhood Plan and will be the sponsor for any future neighbourhood plans.

Where does our money come from?

Wolverton and Greenleys Town Council imposes a charge known as a precept on all Council Tax payers who live in our parish. This charge is collected for us by Milton Keynes Council as part of your overall Council Tax bill. WGTC can also receive grants and makes a charge for some of its services. Our finances are strictly regulated by legislation and our accounts and audit reports are available to view on our website or on request.

What do you think we should we do?

If you have an idea for a service or project in Wolverton and Greenleys or if you think there is a local problem that should be tackled please come and talk to us about it. Our councillor contact details are in this magazine and on our website and they and our staff team welcome your views. It’s your council so it’s up to you to hold us to account!

Milton Keynes Council Ward Member Details
Link to http://mapping.milton-keynes.gov.uk/?tab=0&atTxtStreet=

How to Report and to Whom
WGTC is happy to report matters to Milton Keynes Council for you although you can do this yourself directly by following the link https://mycouncil.milton-keynes.gov.uk/

The role of Milton Keynes Council

Milton Keynes Council are responsible for:

Rubbish Collection (recycling), Planning, Parking, Street Lights, Roads, Pavements, Traffic, Parks, Play Equipment, Housing, Grass Cutting

Link to Milton Keynes Council website

Link to Milton Keynes Council "Report It"

Link to Milton Keynes Council "Planning Applications"

Milton Keynes Council Services  

MKC have announced their budget with their cuts. Click here for more information

What don’t we do?

People are sometimes confused about our responsibilities especially the following:

Rubbish Collection - Milton Keynes Council is directly responsible for emptying litter bins, domestic bin collections, street cleansing and waste recycling, fly-tipping on public land and environmental health.
WGTC provides over 60 dog bins which we empty at least weekly, we provide some extra litter bins and our caretakers work with others to undertake extra waste removal when possible. We have no powers to issue penalty notices for littering or dog fouling.

Planning - Milton Keynes Council is the planning authority and decides whether or not to grant planning permission. WGTC expresses its opinion on individual planning applications. Our job is to represent the whole community in making these observations which must relate to material planning matters. The Town Council is also a consultee on planning policy. MK Council determines licensing applications but again WGTC may comment on behalf of the community. WGTC also gets involved in the spending of financial contributions made by developers under S106 of the Town and Country Planning Act (as amended).

Parking - Thames Valley Police and Milton Keynes Council both have powers to enforce parking restrictions and the police can issue penalties to motorists causing obstructions or committing other driving/parking offences. We report problems and liaise with both organisations about parking problems but we can’t take enforcement action or impose restrictions.

Streetlights, Roads Pavements and Traffic – Milton Keynes Council is directly responsible for street lighting, footway and carriageway repairs, traffic calming and all issues relating to local roads which are not the responsibility of the national Highways Authority. (We report problems and work with MK Council and others on road safety issues; we regularly deploy our own Speed Indication Devices around the area which flash to remind speeding motorists to slow down.)

Parks and Play Equipment – Milton Keynes Council is responsible for the grounds and play equipment at Victoria Park, Western Road Recreation Ground and Greenleys MUGA (except for the floodlights at this MUGA).