Your Town Council Explained

What is Wolverton & Greenleys Town Council? 

Wolverton & Greenleys Town Council is part of the first tier of local government, the community councils closest to the voters.

Our councillors make policy and strategy decisions about what we will do and our staff team work with them to implement these on a day to day basis.
The council is independent of MK City Council. All our activities are governed by UK and EU laws and codes of practice.

Wolverton & Greenleys Town Council aims to foster the wellbeing of this neighbourhood. Our work falls into three main categories:

  • Representing the local community
  • Delivering services to meet local needs
  • Striving to improve the quality of life in the areas we represent
Often we work with partners including statutory authorities, community groups and individuals. We co-operate with MK City Council to try to ensure effective delivery of their services in our area. We review all planning applications for the parish and we are consulted by MK City Council on planning policy. We are the sponsoring body for the Wolverton Neighbourhood Plan and will be the sponsor for any future neighbourhood plans.


WGTC has signed the Civility and Respect Pledge for the local council sector and you can view the Civility and Respect Pledge here. WGTC is a Living Wage employer which you can read more about on the Living Wage website. We have also signed the Armed Forces Covenant.

How to Report Issues to and How

If you need to report an issue, please first identify if it is something that WGTC are responsible for, or MK City Council. There more information on this below.

To report matters to WGTC please email the Office or telephone 01908 326800.

To report matters to MK City Council you can do this yourself directly by visiting the MK Council Report it website page. If you can't do this online then you can call MK City Council directly on 01908 691691. When you report an issue you will be given an FS number, keep this safe so that if your problem is not resolved, you can then report to your local Ward Councillors whose email addresses are as follows: (Wolverton, includes Greenleys) (Wolverton, includes Greenleys) (Wolverton, includes Greenleys) (Stacey Bushes & Hodge Lea) (Stacey Bushes & Hodge Lea) (Stacey Bushes & Hodge Lea)

What We Do and Don't Do

What We Do 

  • Allotments
  • Christmas lights
  • Citizens Advice
  • Community Orchard
  • Community equipment hire
  • Dog bins
  • Grants
  • Hodge Lea Meeting Place
  • In Bloom
  • Public events
  • Public artworks and commemorations
  • Secret Garden
  • Stacey Bushes Meeting Place
  • Twinning
  • Wolverton and Greenleys Community Magazine

We also work with a number of organisations and groups in the local area to provide local services and activities. If you have an idea for a service or project in the parish or if you think there is a local problem that should be tackled please talk to your local councillor about it. 

What We Don't Do

There is sometimes confusion about what WGTC is responsible for and what MK City Council is responsible for. Here are the most common topics.

Rubbish Collection
MK City Council is directly responsible for emptying litter bins, domestic bin collections, street cleansing, fly-tipping on public land and environmental health.


MK City Council is the planning authority and decides whether to grant planning permission or not. WGTC expresses its opinion on individual planning applications. Our job is to represent the whole community in making these observations which must relate to material planning matters. WGTC is also a consultee on planning policy.

MK City Council determines licensing applications but again WGTC may comment on behalf of the community. WGTC also gets involved in the spending of financial contributions made by developers under S106 of the Town and Country Planning Act (as amended).

Thames Valley Police and MK City Council both have powers to enforce parking restrictions and the police can issue penalties to motorists causing obstructions or committing other driving/parking offences. We report problems and liaise with both organisations about parking problems but we can’t take enforcement action or impose restrictions.

Streetlights, Roads Pavements and Traffic

MK City Council is directly responsible for street lighting, footway and carriageway repairs, traffic calming and all issues relating to local roads which are not the responsibility of the national Highways Authority.

WGTC report problems and work with MK City Council and others on road safety issues; we regularly deploy our own Speed Indication Devices (SIDs) around the area which flash to remind speeding motorists to slow down.

Parks and Play Equipment
MK City Council is responsible for the grounds and play equipment at Victoria Park, Western Road Recreation Ground and Greenleys MUGA (except for the floodlights at this MUGA).